Friday, February 10, 2006

Lessons in Theatre

Today there was an informal discussion on theatre held at college where eminent theatre personalities who were also ex-Stephanians were called. I hadn't intended on staying but I had nothing else planned, so I thought why not and anyway Ashmi would have again accused me of running away from college soon after classes (I don't know where she gets that idea??). Just looking at the names of the Roshan Seth, Kabir Bedi, Barkha Dutt etc. one would have expected the hall to be bursting with people but at one o clock (the time it was supposed to start) the hall was still empty. The crowd started trickling in soon enough though.
The discussion turned out to be a lot of fun. I myself can't act for nuts but listening to these people talk about their college days and give us little anecdotes about life and so on was pretty interesting. Roshan Seth spoke the most- he spoke well, mind you- but I sort of felt bad for the others as they took the part of listeners for most of the discussion. One thing all of them emphasised was that whatever path we take in life it should be something we enjoy and love doing. Even if it doesn't pay much and requires a lot of struggle it should be something that gives you satisfaction. When you wake up in the morning you should have a smile on your face just thinking about your day ahead. The future is something we are all supposed to be thinking about at this stage of our life so that got me thinking.
I want to be happy, who doesn't?...but thats where the money part comes in. I mean, everyone wants to earn well. The ideal job would be one that I love and which pays well. I do realise however that this is not an ideal world and not everyone gets what they want. What do I really want??? Whenever someone asks me what I plan to do in the future I say Mass Communications but that's about it. Within that there are different options like advertising ( I don't think I'm creative enough for that), Journalism (I don't have the drive to go all out to get my story- Pioneer taught me that), print media ( I'm not sure I will be able to handle the pressure of writing within deadlines).The thing is I'm not willing to give myself a chance- I give up way too easily. It happened in my first year of college while trying to get into societies and I have always regretted that. The last thing I need is for that to happen again.
Two years of college have already passed and by next year I should have figured exactly what I want to do. What today's discussion taught me was nothing to with theatre but more with life itself. Whichever career path I choose it has to be something I'm passionate about, irrespective of the economics concerned. Money is important I know, but...
I guess it's upto me now to decide which path to take- money or personal fulfilment. Who knows maybe I'll get lucky and find one which has both.

3 Comments:

At 10:17 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello..
Reading your blog has become an evening ritual! Stop with the pessimism already...you're going to end up doing something you're brilliant at..have you even given yourself a chance to experiment with all these different media before writing them off?
You're not supposed to have it all figured it...being lost is revelatory!

 
At 2:39 am , Blogger Books inc said...

^Well, me agrees with ashmi! I think we're all sorta lost. Not all of us can have the good fortune of having realized what we're going to do with out lives early on. And don't restrict yourself to only Mass-Communication. There's so much more out there! Just do your best at the moment. I'm sure everything will fall into place on its own. Atleast I'm hoping so...

 
At 10:18 am , Blogger Aruni Kashyap said...

I agree with you trisha;I really can't see myself three years down the line doing something which i don't really enjoy.True,the money factor is important but I also want want a life which would give me some time to spend with my own self---that may not be only limited to reading a book or listening to some good music with a cup of Assam tea(which I really miss in Delhi)but also doing something which makes me talk to myself and also identify new new aspects within me....everyday!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home